Undergraduate FAQ

How do I change my major, or add a second major in REES?

If you are an upper-division student and you would like to change your major or add a second major in Russian and East European Studies, you should email the Undergraduate Academic Program Specialist to schedule an appointment to see whether or not you are eligible to change your major or add a 2nd major in Russian and East European Studies.

Lower-division students should meet with an advisor in Bellamy 105 or Bellamy 106. A list of academic advisors and their contact information can be found online here. Students can make an appointment with an advisor in Bellamy 105 or Bellamy 106 by logging in to their my.fsu.edu page, clicking on the CC (Campus Connect) icon on the top left side, and following the remaining prompts to schedule an advising appointment.

How can I receive academic credit towards an REES major for an internship?

Students wishing to earn major academic credit for an internship must meet the following prerequisites: 15 credit hours beyond liberal studies, 3.0 GPA, and instructor approval. Internships must relate to the major for Russian and East European Studies in order to be potentially approved. In order to obtain the internship application form, please email the Russian and East European Studies undergraduate Academic Program Specialist.

Can courses other than those on the approved course list be applied towards the REES major?

Possibly, yes. All exceptions and course substitutions should be approved by the Program Director or by the undergraduate Academic Program Specialist prior to the start of the semester in which the class is completed. Usually a syllabus or, in the case of A.A. degrees, a degree audit is required to approve exceptions.

If I want to see an advisor, how can I make an appointment?

Lower-division students may make appointments by logging in to their my.fsu.edu page, clicking on the CC (campus connect) icon, and filling out the remaining prompts to schedule an academic advising appointment. Upper-division students may email the undergraduate Academic Program Specialist directly to request an appointment.

How can I verify my proficiency in a modern foreign language and satisfy the language requirement for an International Studies major?

Students with no prior experience in Russian, German, or another approved area language will simply complete the three-semester sequence in the foreign language. Students who have already started their language sequence at FSU do not need to take a placement test to continue. If you wish to document your proficiency in German, you may take a free placement test at the FSU Testing Center. For more information, call 644-3017 and visit http://distance.fsu.edu/testing to schedule an appointment.

Students with language skills in other foreign languages should contact the advisor in the Modern Languages Department (364 Diffenbaugh Building or MLLAdvising@fsu.edu) to inquire about appropriate language placement.

When do I take a foreign language placement test?

You must make an appointment to take a placement test. You can sign up for an appointment using RegisterBlast. Refer to the Testing Center website for the most up-to-date information about testing center hours, location and contact information.

How long does the Placement Test take?

The test takes about one hour and is multiple-choice in format. There is no speaking or listening on the test.

What do I do with the score?

Print out the score report from your Canvas site to bring to your first class meeting. Students are required to take the placement test before they officially enroll in German — unless they have no previous experience with the language.

If your score is high enough to exempt the foreign language requirement, please email the Russian and East European Studies Academic Program Specialist

Do I get credit for previous courses if I place out of the first semester?

No. No course credit is given for the placement test. However, you will save time (and money) by skipping a semester or two of language study. Many students will only need to take one semester of language at FSU to satisfy specific graduation requirements.

Is there any way to get college credit for my previous study of a language?

Yes. If you took a course in high school that grants college credit, FSU will recognize that credit. FSU also grants credit for national, standardized tests (CLEP, AP, IB, etc.) and dual enrollment in Florida. Transfer credit from other universities may also be accepted.

What is the CLEP exam?

The CLEP exam (College Level Examination Program) is a national, standardized test. It includes listening as well as reading and grammar skills. It is available in French, German and Spanish. Students may receive up to 12 credits through this exam. The CLEP test may not be taken if the student has previously enrolled in any college-level course in the language. You may register for the CLEP at the Assessment Services Test Center, Room 1200 University Center Bldg. C. There is a fee for this exam. If you decide to take the CLEP, you must take it before you register for any language courses at FSU. For further information about the CLEP exam and associated fees, call 644-3017 or visit http://distance.fsu.edu/testing.

I took the placement test but I do not really think the score reflected my abilities. Can I take it again?

Students are not allowed to repeat the test for 60 days.

If I have already received college credit in a language, am I permitted to take a placement test?

No. Students entering FSU Fall 2011 or later, who have received college credit of any kind (CLEP, AP, IB, Dual Enrollment, etc.) for the language they wish to continue studying, are NOT permitted to take the placement test without approval from an advisor in the Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics.

If permission to take a placement exam is granted to a student with previous college credit, this score may be used for placement purposes only. Students entering FSU Fall 2011 or later will not be permitted to use a placement test for foreign language exemption if they have ever received college credit for that language. No exceptions to this policy will be made.