Program Requirements and Curriculum
Students choose between:
- Master of Science or Master of Arts
Master of Arts requirement: six (6) credits minimum of coursework in history, modern language, philosophy or religion.
*The program does not recommend one of type degree over the other*
- Comprehensive Exam Track or Thesis Track
Comprehensive Exam track: 31 credit hours
Thesis track: 31 credit hours
Master’s in Russian and Eastern European Studies degree must complete:
- CORE coursework (1 credits):
- Colloquium (1)
- RUSSIAN HISTORY coursework (6 credits):
- At least six (6) credits focusing on Russian/Eastern European History
- SOCIAL SCIENCE coursework (6 credits):
- At least six (6) credits focusing on Social Science
- Participating departments: International Affairs, Political Science, Public Administration, Economics, Sociology, Urban and Regional Panning, Geography
- ARTS & HUMANITIES coursework (6 credits):
- At least six (6) credits focusing on Arts and Humanities
- Participating departments: History, Religion, Modern Languages
- ELECTIVE coursework (11 – 14 credits):
- The remaining credits left for the degree will be taken from the approved course list, from the participating departments.
- Students may also study abroad, or complete internships for credit – to complete their remaining elective hours. For info on this, click here (3)
- FOREIGN LANGUAGE requirement: Proficiency in Russian, Serbo-Croatian, or some other east European language
_____ Above INTERMEDIATE LEVEL (2220 equivalent)
_____ 12 semester hours in a foreign language with an average grade of at least 3.0, “B”
_____ 4 years of a single language in high school
_____ Graduate Reading Knowledge Examinations ((RUS 5069)
_____ If first language is not English: TOELF
- PASS COMPREHENSIVE EXAM OR SUCCESSFULLY DEFEND THESIS
Is funding available for students?
Yes, but it is limited. Please visit here for more information on funding opportunities.
For more information, contact the Graduate Program Coordinator, 850-644-4418 or fill out this form: