Frequently Asked Questions

What are the minimum requirements for admission into the Master in Public Health program?

Please visit Admissions Requirement page for admissions requirement.

What pre-requisites or type of undergraduate degree do I need in order to apply? Is an advanced degree necessary to be considered for the Master in Public Health Program?

Advanced degrees are not required for acceptance into the program. There are no pre-requisite courses required for MPH admissions or a requirement or preference for applicants’ bachelor’s degree field. Because an MPH degree is applicable to many different career fields, no particular undergraduate degree is suggested for all applicants.

Can I work part-time or full-time and still attend classes? How successful are people who work and attend class at the same time?

Yes, students can work part-time or full-time while attending classes. Most classes are once a week for 2 – 3 hours. Many courses are offered in the afternoon or evening at FSU’s main campus to accommodate working professionals. Some courses are also offered online, but the program does require on campus attendance for some required courses in the Fall and Spring.

Is it possible to graduate in less than two years?

The program is intended to be a 2-year experience encompassing two fall and spring semesters for full-time students. However, students can set their own pace from part-time to full-time. With appropriate planning, the program requirements may be completed in 3 semesters and a summer by taking 3 semesters of 12 credits and 6 credits in a summer.

How many credit hours are needed to graduate with an MPH?

Students must complete 42 credits. Please visit the Program Requirements and Curriculum page for more information on the program requirements for the MPH degree.

Where have students been placed for internships?

  • Florida Department of Health
  • County Health Department
  • Chronic Disease
  • Environmental Health
  • Disease Control
  • Maternal & Child Health
  • Tobacco
  • Florida Department of Children and Families
  • Florida Agency for Health Care Administration
  • Private For-Profit Organizations
  • Private Not-for-Profit Organizations
  • FSU University Health Services
  • US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Are the internships usually paid?

Many of the 200 hour internships are paid but the program cannot guarantee a paid internship. The placement of the internship is based upon the interests of the student and that is usually a higher priority than recompense for the work done.

Can the internship requirement be waived?

Program accreditation requires that the 200-hour internship never be waived.

Are students able to specialize in specific areas?

The MPH degree at FSU has just one general track focused on policy. Course assignments can be tailored around specific areas of interest. Along with the MPH, students can obtain a certificate in emergency management from the School of Public Administration and Policy. The emergency management certificate program requires 15 credits of course work. Some, not all, of these credits may count towards elective credit for the MPH degree.

Are there social/personal/recreational/professional opportunities and activities available to graduate students?

There are numerous opportunities and activities for students to get involved in graduate life on and off campus, including community service, recreation, research, leadership, health and wellness services.

What are the costs for attendance?

Please visit the Student Financial Services website for information on the tuition rates for in-state and out-of-state students ( ) and additional personal expenses, including room & board, transportation, books, supplies, other (

Is funding available for students?

Most students finance their education through student loans. State employees may enroll up to 6 credit hours per term using a state tuition waiver. 

The program director awards a small number of assistantships on the basis of the student’s academic record and GRE scores. There is no formal application process. Assistantships are typically awarded upon admittance into the program, or occasionally after the first semester based on high performance. The MPH program sometimes has a small donor-funded grant or scholarship given in recognition of student performance.

Students are encouraged to apply to various scholarship opportunities on campus. The Graduate School has several opportunities that students are encouraged to review at:

I am an international student; do you have resources that can assist me with housing, financials, visa concerns, etc.?

The Center for Global Engagement (CGE), located in the Global and Multicultural Engagement Building (The Globe) has a resource page for on- and off-housing options ( https:// ). 

Prior to matriculation all international students are expected to submit a Certification of Financial Responsibility form ( ) to CGE. 

For additional questions on cost of attendance, visa status changes, or additional forms, please visit:

Upon admittance, all international students are required to attend CGE’s orientation and to check in upon arrival to Tallahassee (at least one day prior to orientation). 

For more information on checking in, please visit:

What do I do after my application is complete?

Nothing is needed from applicants once FSU’s admission department and the Master in Public Health (MPH) program receive a complete application. The MPH program has a rolling admissions process. 

A candidate who has submitted an application will be referred by graduate admissions to the MPH program upon payment of application fee and review of any judicial holds (students should contact Financial Services with questions regarding fee payment). 

You should receive status updates via e-mail on what items are needed until your application is complete. An applicant can expect to receive a decision 2-3 weeks after a completed application submission, though review time can vary. Please note that GRE scores and transcripts can take 6-8 weeks to be processed and added to an application. 

Students can check the status of their application using the online status check:

International Students will also be contacted by the CGE staff regarding Visa and financial documents after the admissions process is complete. Information on these procedures and contact information can be found at:

Who should I contact with questions regarding the program and admissions?

Please call (850) 644-4418 or visit Bellamy 211.