Alumni & Friends
Contributions from alumni and friends of the Department of Political Science Department benefit our students by enabling them to:
- Gain high-caliber research skills and practical experience working in an academic research environment through the department’s Research Intensive Bachelor’s Certificate (RIBC) program for top-ranked junior and senior political science majors.
- Acquire and improve professional development skills through attendance at professional workshops and conferences. (Contributions help cover travel costs and registration fees.)
- Gain access to political science education for students from historically under-represented populations or disadvantaged backgrounds in partnership with the university’s CARE program.
- Participate in student organizations that foster organizational and leadership skills.
- Study abroad via the Doug St. Angelo International Travel Award for political science majors concentrating on international relations. (The award recognizes the late emeritus professor and his lifelong passion and commitment to international relations and studying abroad.)
- Gain perspective from and interact with a wide array of political, government, academic, and business leaders during departmental visits and talks. (Entertainment costs involved in such visits are not covered by State of Florida funds and are dependent upon private support.)
- Pursue graduate and professional training at the MA/MS and Ph.D. levels thanks to departmental recruiting awards and graduate fellowships funded through private support.
- Department of Political Science General Development Fund (#4805): the department’s primary and preferred gift designation; these contributions provide maximum flexibility for the department to meet the above needs and priorities, none of which are covered by State of Florida funds. Gifts to this fund also help support the annual Charles Billings Scholarship Award to recognize students who demonstrate outstanding public service and the annual George Pruet, Jr. Award, which recognizes the best graduate student seminar paper.
- Thomas R. Dye Scholarship Endowment Fund (#7192): merit award given to 4th year student with highest GPA within the major.
- Paul Piccard Distinguished Professorship Endowment Fund (#4383): honors the late beloved faculty member who inspired many students to pursue political science as their career.
How to Give Back
Giving back to the Department of Political Science is now easier than ever:
- Donate online via credit card using the secure site set up by the FSU Foundation at this link. In the designation drop-down box, be sure to select “Political Science Department #4805”.
- If you prefer to write a check and mail it in, simply print out the gift/pledge form provided on the website, complete and sign it, then mail it along with your check (made payable to the FSU Foundation, Inc.) to the address listed on the form.
- If you wish to make recurring gifts from your bank account or other types of electronic transfers, please contact Alexia Chamberlynn in the FSU Foundation gift processing office at 850-644-9193 or by email at email@example.com. She will be glad to assist you with them.
For More Information
If you have questions about the above items or wish to share ideas for departmental fundraising activities, please contact the Department of Political Science Chair Brad Gomez at 850-644-5727 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
With alumni in professional positions on University faculty and in various government and research agencies in over twenty states and several foreign countries, the Department is well represented in the discipline. Most students in the doctoral program expect to pursue a career as part of a university faculty. The Department provides information on available positions, assists in the development of a placement file, and sends that file to institutions that are recruiting faculty. Our students have a strong record of obtaining positions; some at major research universities, some at smaller colleges and universities that emphasize undergraduate teaching, others in the private sector or government. Many of our graduates are listed below with the year of their degree and their current place of employment.
|Year||Area||Initial Placement||Current Placement|
|Matthew Hauenstein||2018||IR||University of Notre Dame (Post-Doc)|
|Dr. David Abitbol||2016||IR||Rand Cooperation|
|Dr. William Flanders||2016||American||Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty|
|Dr. Jack Mewhirter||2016||Policy||University of Cincinatti|
|Dr. Patrick Scott||2016||IR||Charles River Associates|
|Dr. Brian Crisher||2015||IR||University of West Florida|
|Dr. Casey Delehanty||2015||IR||Gardner-Webb University|
|Dr. Scott Liebertz||2015||Comparative||University of South Alabama|
|Dr. Marcus Scott Meachum||2015||IR||Florida State University (Visiting)|
|Dr. Ammar Shamaileh||2015||Comparative||University of Louisville (Visiting)|
|Dr. Ryan Welch||2015||IR||Arizona State University (Post-Doc)|
|Dr. Chungshik Moon||2014||IR||Australian National University|
|Dr. Jaclyn A. Bunch||2014||American||University of South Alabama|
|Dr. Jilliene E. Haglund||2014||IR||Washington University, St. Louis (Post-Doc)||University of Kentucky|
|Dr. Kerri J. Milita||2014||Policy||Illinois State University|
|Dr. Jacob T. Ausderan||2013||IR||Tulane University||Arkansas State University|
|Dr. James R. Martin, Jr.||2013||Comparative||Creighton University|
|Dr. Jonathan D. Rogers||2013||Policy||NYU – Abu Dhabi|
|Dr. Marius V. Radean||2013||Comparative||University of Essex (UK)|
|Dr. R. Carlisle Rainey||2013||Comparative||University of Buffalo – SUNY||Texas A&M University|
|Dr. Scott A. Clifford||2013||American||Duke University (Post-Doc)||University of Houston|
|Dr. Travis A. Braidwood||2013||American||Texas A&M – Corpus Christi|
|Dr. Edward O. Hearn, Jr.||2013||IR||Mississippi State University (Visiting)|
|Dr. Christine S. Mele||2013||IR||University of Arkansas|
|Dr. Andreas Beger||2012||IR||Duke University (Post-Doc)|
|Dr. Daniel J. Milton||2012||IR||Brigham Young University||US Military Academy – West Point|
|Dr. Daniel W. Hill, Jr.||2012||IR||University of Georgia|
|Dr. John N. Lee||2012||IR||Enterprise Holdings|
|Dr. Karen D. Cyphers||2012||Policy||Florida Medical Association||Sach Media Group|
|Dr. Meredith A. Whiteman||2012||Policy||Charter Schools USA|
|Dr. Sunhee Park||2012||IR||Central European University||Aarhus University|
|Dr. James P. Nelson||2011||American||University of Texas – Pan American||Lamar University|
|Dr. Justin M. Conrad||2011||IR||UNC – Charlotte|
|Dr. Patrick C. Armshaw||2011||IR||FSU London Study Center|
|Dr. Richard H. Hawley||2011||Comparative||University of North Florida|
|Dr. Benjamin L. Gaskins||2011||American||Gardner-Webb University||Lewis and Clark College|
|Dr. Courtenay N. Conrad||2010||IR||University of California – Merced|
|Dr. Daniel S. Scheller||2010||Policy||Western Kentucky University||University of Texas – El Paso|
|Dr. Elizabeth A. Nyman||2010||IR||Georgia Southern University||Texas A&M – Galveston|
|Dr. Greg Goelzhauser||2010||American||Coastal Carolina University||Utah State University|
|Dr. Hong-Cheol Kim||2010||IR||Republic of Korea Airforce|
|Dr. Sally Anderson||2010||IR||University of South Florida||Hall Strategies|
|Dr. Jeffrey R. Weber||2010||IR||Trinity College (Ireland)||Keimyung University (South Korea)|
|Dr. Melissa Neal||2009||American||Texas A&M – Corpus Christi|
|Dr. Robert L. Parrillo||2009||IR||University of Auburn – Montgomery||Ball State University|
|Dr. Soo H. Jung||2009||Policy||Yonsei University (South Korea)|
|Dr. Woojin Kang||2009||Comparative||Angelo State University|
|Dr. Joseph K. Young||2008||IR/Comparative||Southern Illinois University – Carbondale||American University|
|Dr. Justin E. Esarey||2008||Policy/Methods||Emory University||Rice University|
|Dr. Faruk Ekmekci||2008||IR||Illinois Wesleyan Univeristy||Ipek University (Turkey)|
|Dr. Christina Fattore||2007||IR||West Virginia University|
|Dr. Cynthia R. Rugeley||2007||American/Policy||Texas Tech University||University of Minnesota – Duluth|
|Dr. Glynn T. Ellis, Jr.||2007||IR||Georgia Southern University|
|Dr. Joel F. Turner, Jr.||2007||American||Western Kentucky University|
|Dr. Nicholas Charron||2007||IR||Gothenburg University (Sweden)||Copenhagen Business School|
|Dr. William Davis||2007||IR/Comparative||Walsh University|
|Dr. Alfredo R. Berardo||2006||Policy||University of Arizona||University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee|
|Dr. Christopher J. Lewis||2006||American||Haas Center, University of West Florida||Enterprise Florida|
|Dr. Emilia J. Powell||2006||IR/Comparative||Georgia Southern University||University of Notre Dame|
|Dr. Joohyun Kang||2006||Policy||Sookmyung Women’s University (South Korea)|
|Dr. Marc A. Pape||2006||IR||Dickinson College|
|Dr. Shunta Matsumoto||2006||American||Meijo University (Japan)|
|Dr. Michael E. Allison||2006||IR||University of Scranton|