Alumni businesses recognized as Seminole 100
by Calvin Burrows, The Jim Moran Institute, and COSSPP communications staff
Florida State University unveiled its 2021 Seminole 100 list February 18 during a virtual ceremony hosted by the Jim Moran Institute for Global Entrepreneurship, part of the FSU College of Business.
The list recognizes 100 of the fastest-growing businesses owned or led by FSU alumni and includes a wide range of businesses across the country. Seventy of the businesses are located in Florida.
The fourth annual event concluded with the recognition of the No. 1 business — Southern Spear Ironworks, LLC, and honoree Sean Compton, owner, president and CEO of the full-service, structural steel shop based in Chattanooga, Tenn. John Thrasher, president of Florida State University, presented the top award to Compton, a 2008 real estate graduate, during the virtual event.
“Entrepreneurship has the power to shape our communities and fuel our economy,” said Melissa Roberts, managing director of the Jim Moran Institute. “We are proud to recognize the 2021 Seminole 100 honorees and commend them for their determination to achieve growth, innovation and prosperity. We look forward to seeing continued success from these elite FSU alumni.”
Ernst and Young (EY), a Seminole 100 financial partner, verified the information from each company and ranked the businesses based on a compound annual growth rate.
The 2021 Seminole 100 list of fastest-growing businesses includes 16 owned/operated by 17 alumni of the College of Social Sciences and Public Policy (listed by their ranking within the Seminole 100):
5. Kinloch Partners, Brentwood, Tenn.* – Bruce McNeilage (B.S. ’88 Economics
17. 30A Beach Services, Santa Rosa Beach, Fla.* – Glenn Foote (B.S. ’11 Social Sciences), Robert Miralles (B.S. ’11 Economics, International Affairs)
18. Goodwipes, Atlanta, Ga.* – Peter Siciak (B.S. ’09 International Affairs)
22. Chisholm Law Firm, PLLC, Ocoee, Fla. – Audrey Chisholm (B.A. ’04 International Affairs)
28. EnLight.Energy, Silver Spring, Md. – Julio Hernandez (B.S. ’04 International Affairs)
29. Kupanda Capital, Washington, D.C.* – Bobby Pittman (B.S. ’97, M.A. ’06 Economics)
41. Boomerang Transportation, LLC, Tampa, Fla.* – Jonathan Novak (B.S. ’10 Political Science, International Affairs)
42. Synergy Settlement Services, Orlando, Fla.* – Anthony Prieto Jr. (B.S. ’96 Political Science)
45. Atlanta Family & Immigration Law Firm, Atlanta, Ga. – Judith Delus Montgomery (B.S. ’03 Political Science)
50. Ancient City Brewing Company, LLC, St. Augustine, Fla. – Gregory Tuttle (B.S. ’02 Economics)
61. Staff Builders HR, LLC, Lakeland, Fla. – Stuart Norman (B.S. ’97 Political Science)
63. Autumn Beck Blackledge, PLLC, Pensacola, Fla.* – Autumn Beck Blackledge (B.S. ’98 Political Science)
77. Jeff Kottkamp, P.A., Tallahassee, Fla.* – Jeff Kottkamp (B.S. ’84 Political Science)
79. Imperial Fence Supply, Eastpoint, Ga.* – Todd Jefferies (B.S. ’02 Economics)
81. Owenby Law, P.A., Orange Park, Fla.* – Joy Owenby (B.S. ’93 Political Science)
84. McKee Insurance Agency, Tallahassee, Fla.* – Patrick McKee (B.S. ’00 Economics)
* Indicates companies previously named to the Seminole 100.
To qualify for the Seminole 100, a company must have operated for at least three years and generated revenue by Jan. 1, 2017. In addition, the business must have been owned or led by an FSU alumni for three consecutive years prior to applying.
To learn more about Seminole 100 visit this link.