International students are important to us! We want international students in our program! International students bring a diversity and richness to our programs. This pushes our own domestic students out of their comfort zones and lifts up the entire program. Through group work and interaction, all students learn, develop, and truly become global citizens.
- TOEFL: 80
- IELTS: 6.5
GRE scores with a percentile ranking of 50 or higher on the verbal, quantitative, and writing sections. This equates to about 150 in both the verbal and quantitative portions, and a 4 in the writing section.
If you have work experience that meets our waiver (Five years of professional experience as a practitioner in an international space or with international context) – you can submit here.
What if I don’t have the required TOEFL or IELTS or GRE score?
That is ok! You should apply anyway and we can work with you and your application.
Apply even if you do not have the required TOEFL/IELTS or GRE score. We can offer you Conditional Admission!
If you are granted Conditional Admission, you will:
- Study at the Center for Intensive English Studies (CIES) for two 7-week sessions (1 semester) and cover the costs of attendance.
- Maintain at least a “B” average in each class while enrolled in the Center for Intensive English Studies (CIES).
- After the semester at CIES, you are required to re-take the TOEFL, or another English Proficiency Entrance Test and receive minimum requirements.
- You took the IELTS but did not receive the minimum 6.5 required for admission.
- Here is the minimum we require for admission:
- Internet based TOEFL (IBTOEFL): 90
- Paper based TOEFL (TOEFL): 550
- International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS): 6.5
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB): 77
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 55
- After your semester at CIES, you will be eligible to take the GRE and must receive the minimum scores (50% percentile)
- Verbal – 151
- Quantitative – 153
- Writing – 3.5
- Receive recommendation from the Director of CIES, Dr. Patrick Kennel.
If you are looking to be conditionally admitted without test scores, please email the Academic Program Specialist
We accept applications for the Fall, Spring and Summer semester. International applications must submit 4 months prior to start of term.
Fall: July 1st Spring: November 1st Summer: March 1st
Please note that all applications are reviewed holistically to determine the applicant’s eligibility. Applicants who do not meet one of these criteria are still eligible to apply and encouraged to address these issues in their statement of purpose. For more information, please contact the Graduate Program Coordinator, 850-644-4418
Academic Support For International Students
EAP Program to demonstrate the help that is available to International students.
To visit this page for international funding opportunities and information, click here.
Citizens from Latin America, Carribbean, Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands: to visit this page for a scholarship opportunity, click here
The program director awards a small number of assistantships on the basis of the student’s academic record and GRE scores. There is no formal application process. Assistantships are typically awarded upon admittance into the program, or occasionally after the first semester based on high performance. The MPH program sometimes has a small donor-funded grant or scholarship given in recognition of student performance.
Most students in this program finance their education through student loans.
Students are encouraged to apply to various scholarship opportunities on campus. The Graduate School has several opportunities that students are encouraged to review at: here
I am an international student; do you have resources that can assist me with housing, financials, visa concerns, etc.?
Housing options: click here
Prior to matriculation all international students are expected to submit a Certification of Financial Responsibility formto CGE.
For additional questions on cost of attendance, visa status changes, or additional forms, please visit: cse.fsu.edu.
Upon admittance, all international students are required to attend CGE’s orientation and to check in upon arrival to Tallahassee (at least one day prior to orientation).
For more information on checking in, please click here for the check in form.