Doctoral applicants are admitted exclusively for the Fall semester. Students should apply online and upload application materials at the Office of Admissions website. Applications will be reviewed beginning in January. To ensure that your application receives full consideration for funding, apply no later than January 1st. Paper applications will not be accepted.
To ensure that your application receives full consideration for funding, apply no later than January 1st.
US applicants must submit applications by the FSU application deadline; international applicants are encouraged to complete application one month prior.
- Statement of Purpose – two pages maximum
- Letters of Recommendation (3 Required)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Official GRE Score Report
- Official Transcript from Previous Universities
- Writing Sample (optional) – If submitted, it should not exceed 2,000 words and should be submitted as .pdf file.
- For official rules and regulations, consult the Graduate College’s Admissions Website: https://gradschool.fsu.edu/admissions/graduate-admissions
What are we looking for in an Applicant?
There is no single criterion for admission, but the most successful candidates will have the following qualities:
- A history of academic success as indicated by coursework in economics and mathematics
- Excellent grades
- Strong scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), particularly in the quantitative and writing sections
- Three high-quality letters of recommendation, which speak to the candidate’s ability to excel in academic work and conduct independent research. As a practical matter, this usually means Economics faculty or other economists active in research.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in upper-division undergraduate work and at least 3.4 GPA required on all graduate work attempted. Coursework must include at least (a) an intermediate-level statistics course (econometrics desirable), (b) an intermediate-level macroeconomics course, and (c) an intermediate-level microeconomics course. At least two semesters of calculus and at least one semester of linear algebra are also required; and
- GRE score of at least 148 (V) and 151 (Q); no other exam may substitute; and
- For international applicants, a minimum score of 90 on the internet-based TOEFL; no other exam may substitute.
Minimum University Admissions Requirements
For the most up to date university minimum admissions standards, please consult: https://gradschool.fsu.edu/admissions/graduate-admissions
- For the purpose of submitting official test scores, FSU’s institution code is 5219. A department number does not need to be specified.
- International students with questions about the visa process should contact the Center for Global Engagement.