The application process at Florida State University is electronic. You may only apply online at the Office of Admissions website. Any paper documents sent to the department will not be processed. Below is a brief summary:
The Department of Economics doctoral program admits only for the Fall academic semester. US applicants must submit applications by the FSU application deadline; international applicants are encouraged to complete application one month prior.
All applicants who intend to pursue a Ph.D. in the department and whose files are complete by February 15th are assured consideration for departmental funding in the form of a teaching or research assistantship. Funds may not be available for even the most accomplished applicants after that date.
Minimum University Admissions Requirements
Below are the minimum requirements for University admission. Individual academic departments or colleges may impose more restrictive admission requirements.
An earned bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution, or a comparable degree from an international institution, with a minimum 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) grade point average (GPA) in all work attempted while registered as an upper-division undergraduate student working towards a bachelor’s degree; or
A graduate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution, or a comparable degree from an international institution; and
Test scores from a nationally standardized graduate admission test which is acceptable for the program to which the applicant is applying; and
An English proficiency exam for those applicants whose native language is not English.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in upper-division undergraduate work and at least 3.4 GPA required on all graduate work attempted. Coursework must include at least (a) an intermediate-level statistics course (econometrics desirable), (b) an intermediate-level macroeconomics course, and (c) an intermediate-level microeconomics course. At least two semesters of calculus and at least one semester of linear algebra are also required; and
- GRE score of at least 148 (V) and 151 (Q); no other exam may substitute; and
- For international applicants, a minimum score of 90 on the internet-based TOEFL; no other exam may substitute.
- Statement of Purpose (1 Required)
- The Statement of Purpose, of no longer than two pages, should describe your interest in pursuing a doctoral degree in economics, your qualifications, and your long-term career goals.
- Letters of Recommendation (3 Required)
- All recommendations must be academic, on University letterhead, signed, and dated; letters can be dated no later than one (1) year prior to submission. Letters should speak specifically to the applicant’s ability to successfully complete the Ph.D. program and the applicant’s potential for teaching and research. ALL recommendations must be submitted online.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae (1 Required)
- Your resume/CV, of no longer than two pages, should include all relevant educational and professional experience as well as any awards, honors, publications, presentations, research experience, teaching experience, etc. that you feel relevant.
- Unofficial Score Report (1 Required)
- Unofficial GRE test scores sheet can be uploaded to expedite the review process. We prefer uploads of ETS score reports to students, but will accept student reports. No paper copies accepted.
- Unofficial Transcript (1 Required)
- Unofficial copies of transcripts can be uploaded to expedite the review process. We prefer an upload of a copy of official transcript. No paper copies accepted by Department.
- Writing Sample
- Optional – If submitted, it should not exceed 2,000 words and should be submitted as either a .doc or .pdf file.
- NO paper documentation will be accepted nor forwarded to other FSU units by the Department. Your entire application to us is to be submitted online, and should include only the documents specified.
- For the purpose of submitting official test scores, FSU’s institution code is 5219. A department number does not need to be specified.
- Although unofficial copies of transcripts and GRE scores may be submitted as part of the online application to expedite the review process, an official decision on admission cannot be made until after official GRE scores and transcripts from all prior institutions are received and processed by the FSU Office of Graduate Admissions. Applicants are encouraged to submit official transcripts and request electronic submission of GRE scores from ETS to the FSU Office of Graduate Admissions as early as possible to ensure adequate processing time. The address for submitting transcripts is: The Florida State University, Office of Admissions, 282 Champions Way, P.O. Box 3062400, Tallahassee, FL 32306-2400, USA. Transcripts should NOT be mailed to the Department of Economics. FSU’s institution code is 5219. A department number does not need to be specified.
- International students with questions about the visa process should contact the Center for Global Engagement.