Florida State University

Askew School of Public Administration

College of Social Sciences & Public Policy

For the latest information related to COVID-19, visit fsu.edu/coronavirus

International Admissions

The Office of Admissions is responsible for making the final certification of degree equivalency before processing the admission decision.

For information on International Admissions from the Office of Admissions website, click here.

English Language Proficiency

English Language proficiency exams are required of all international students whose first language is not English.  A list of acceptable tests and required minimum scores follows.

University minimum required scores:

  • 80 on the internet-based TOEFL (IBT) and Paper Based TOEFL (PBT)
    550 on the paper-based TOEFL (PBT) with the old scoring (before July 2017)
  • 6.5 on the IELTS
  • 77 on the MELAB
  • 55 on the PTE
  • Students have successfully completed Level 8 (Advanced Level) at Florida State Center for Intensive English Studies (CIES)

Above are the minimum required scores by the university for admissions. Individual programs might have higher preferences.

These scores are considered official only when they are sent directly to the Office of Admissions from the testing agency and are not valid after two years.

International graduate applicants seeking teaching assistantships are required to pass the SPEAK test which evaluates the English-speaking ability of non-native speakers of English and is administered at Florida State. Students who receive a score of 26 or higher on the speaking section of the Internet-based TOEFL examination meet the University requirements to serve as a teaching assistant; however, some departments may still require that the student take the SPEAK test.

Required Academic Records

All transcripts/academic records that are not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations. To be considered “certified,” documents should be true copies that are signed and dated by an educational official familiar with academic records. Any translated record should be literal and not an interpretive translation. Documents signed by a notary or other public official with no educational affiliation will not be accepted. If the transcript/academic record does not indicate the degree earned and date the degree was awarded, separate proof of degree is required.

International Transfer Credit

International transfer credit is awarded for coursework completed at an accredited (recognized) institution of higher learning. No credit is awarded for technical, vocational, or below-college-level coursework, or courses completed with grades below “D-.” An official course-by-course evaluation is required for all academic records from non-U.S. institutions. We recommend the evaluation be done by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.