Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Asian Studies

College of Social Sciences and Public Policy

Connect with the College

Undergraduate FAQ's

How do I change my major, or add a second major in Asian Studies?

If you are pursuing a major at the upper-division level and would like to change to an Asian Studies major, or add a second major code, you may request the modification by meeting with the undergraduate advisor in 211 Bellamy and completing the necessary paperwork.

Lower-division students (with fewer than 52 completed hours) should meet with an Advising First advisor in 106 Bellamy.

Note: Whether you are a lower-division or an upper-division student, you will be eligible to change into an Asian Studies major only if you are on-course to satisfy the milestones of the Academic Map for your term.

How can I receive academic credit towards an Asian Studies major for an internship?

Students wishing to earn academic credit for an internship must have a 3.0 GPA and obtain approval for an internship placement with an international focus.

After securing the internship, undergraduate students should submit completed internship paperwork to the undergraduate Advisor in 211 Bellamy to facilitate enrollment during the semester the internship will occur.

The necessary paperwork is available on the International Affairs Canvas site, or available from the advisor upon request.

Can courses other than those on the approved course list be applied towards the Asian Studies major?

Yes; however, all exceptions and course substitutions should be approved by the program director or by the undergraduate advisor prior to the start of the semester in which the class is completed. Usually a syllabus or, in the case of A.A. degrees, a degree audit is required to approve exceptions.

If I want to see an advisor, how can I make an appointment?

Lower-division students may make appointments online via Campus Connect.

Upper-division students may e-mail the undergraduate advisor directly, or walk in to Bellamy 211.

How do I request a graduation check?

You may request a graduation check when you have earned 90 credit hours. The university requires that you complete two separate checks: one through the graduating Dean’s Office and one with the Registrar’s Office. They may be requested online at and, respectively.

How can I verify my proficiency in a modern foreign language and satisfy the language requirement for an International Studies major?

Students with no prior experience in their language of choice are not required to take a placement test; they will simply complete the three-semester sequence in the foreign language. Students who have already started their language sequence at FSU do not need to take a placement test to continue. If you wish to document your proficiency in French, German, or Spanish, you may take a free placement test at the Testing Center in University Center Building C. For more information, call 644-3017 and visit to schedule an appointment.

Students with language skills in other foreign languages should contact the advisor in the Modern Languages Department (364 Diffenbaugh Building).

Do I get credit for previous courses if I place out of the first semester?

No. No course credit is given for the placement test. However, you will save time (and money) by skipping a semester or two of language study. Many students will only need to take one semester of language at FSU to satisfy specific graduation requirements.

Is there any way to get college credit for my previous study of a language?

Yes. If you took a course in high school that grants college credit, FSU will recognize that credit. FSU also grants credit for national, standardized tests (CLEP, AP, IB, etc.) and dual enrollment in Florida. Transfer credit from other universities may also be accepted.

What is the CLEP exam?

The CLEP exam (College Level Examination Program) is a national, standardized test. It includes listening as well as reading and grammar skills. It is available in French, German and Spanish. Students may receive up to 12 credits through this exam. The CLEP test may not be taken if the student has previously enrolled in any college-level course in the language. You may register for the CLEP at the Assessment Services Test Center, Room 1200 University Center Bldg. C. There is a fee for this exam. If you decide to take the CLEP, you must take it before you register for any language courses at FSU. For further information about the CLEP exam and associated fees, call 644-3017 or visit