Florida State University

Academic Affairs

College of Social Sciences & Public Policy

For the latest information related to COVID-19, visit fsu.edu/coronavirus

Drops and Withdrawals

Drops vs. withdrawals

A course drop is when you remove one or more classes – but not all of them – from your semester schedule.

A withdrawal is when you remove your entire semester’s schedule, withdrawing from University enrollment for that term.

Drops and Withdrawals FAQ Directory

How do I drop a class?

You can initiate a course drop through your Student Central account.

  • Go to Student Central > My Classes > Enrollment: Drop Classes. Select the correct semester.
  • If enrollment is still open or if it is during the drop/add period, proceed with dropping courses.
  • If it is after the drop/add period, when your schedule appears on the screen, you must click the “Click here to Drop a class for a closed enrollment term” link or the system will generate an error message.
    • If you are dropping a course before the end of the 7th week of classes, you can complete the drop process on your own
    • If it is after the 12th week of class, you may not initiate a course drop on your own and must petition the Academic Affairs office on the grounds of medical, mental health, or unforeseen personal hardship.

What is the difference between a 7th week and 12th week drop?

Before the end of the 7th week of classes, students may drop courses from their schedule without receiving a grade or transcript notation. Dropping a course in this manner does not require Dean’s approval. Student are fee liable for any course that they drop after drop/add.

Between the send of the 7th week of classes and the end of the 12th week of classes, a student may request to use a late drop from the Academic Affairs office. Students may request up 2 late drops before earning 60 hours of college credit and 1 late drop between earning 60 hours of college credit and graduation. Students are fee liable for courses that they drop.

Additional information about drop policies can be found on the Registrar’s website.

How do I initiate medical/mental health drop?

To initiate a course drop for medical or mental health purposes, contact the Academic Affairs office, including information about whether you are seeking to drop course(s) on the basis of either medical or mental health, from which semester you are petitioning to drop courses, and which courses you are petitioning to drop. A member of the Academic Affairs office will contact you for additional information or a meeting as needed and review the University drop process and petition paperwork with you.

How do I initiate a medical/mental health withdrawal?

To initiate a withdrawal (removing all classes from your semester schedule for a given term), contact the Office of Withdrawal Services. If you are a lower-division student (pre-/NFA- majors), you should also contact your Dean’s office in the Office of Undergraduate Studies. Upper-division students in the College of Social Sciences & Public Policy do not need to meet with a representative of the Academic Affairs office before initiating a medical or mental health withdrawal, though students are free to contact the office with questions.

What is the process to request a personal drop/withdrawal?

To request a drop or withdrawal for reasons other than your own medical or mental health circumstances, you must petition on personal grounds. To initiate these drops or withdrawals, contact the Academic Dean’s office to request a petition. Be aware that you will have to provide cause-specific documentation supporting an unforeseen, exceptional circumstance beyond the student’s control for a petition to be considered for approval. Submitting a petition is not guarantee of approval.

What qualifies as a circumstance for drops or withdrawals?

Medical and mental health circumstances must, by university policy, have occurred and/or impacted the student during the semester in question and must have supporting documentation provided by a state-licensed medical or mental health care provider.

Personal circumstances for drops or withdrawal must have been unforeseen, exceptional circumstances beyond the control of the student and must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Involuntary call to active military duty
  • Death of the student or death in the immediate family (parent, spouse, child, sibling)
  • Acute medical or mental health condition of the student of such duration or severity, as confirmed in writing by a clinician, that completion of the term is precluded
  • Cancellation of the course by the University
  • Other exceptional circumstances that could not have been foreseen and were beyond the control of the student