Good afternoon students,
Welcome to the Fall 2021 semester! As we begin this new school year, the College of Social Sciences & Public Policy (COSSPP) and our entire Academic Affairs team is here for you.
We understand that you likely have many questions and some confusion as our campus navigates returning to face-to-face operations while maintaining many hybrid and virtual opportunities. We want to assure you that we are available for you and will continue to be so in either setting.
This email explains how to reach (1) the Dean’s office, (2) academic advising during the drop/add period, or (3) academic advising during the remainder of the Fall semester.
Please, do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to help you develop your academic plans and identify resources to meet your academic goals.
Stay safe, be well, and we look forward to working with you this semester.
COSSPP Office of Academic Affairs
Tanya Perry, Asst. Dean for Academics
Phone: 850/644-5470 (if necessary, please leave voicemail with name, FSUID/EMPLID, and reason for call)
Contacting the Academic Dean’s office
If you are referred to “the Dean’s office,” you are most likely being referred to and should contact your academic dean. An academic dean’s office oversees academic affairs and student services for students in their college. In COSSPP, the academic dean’s office is also referred to as the Office of Academic Affairs.
- Lower-division students (listed as “pre-“ or “NFA-“ majors) are served by the Dean’s office in the Division of Undergraduate Studies.
- Upper-division students who have been certified into their major belong to the Dean’s office for the College.
Throughout the semester, the Academic Affairs office in the COSSPP will be available in person or virtually.
- To reach us in person, visit 101 Bellamy Building, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday
- By email, contact email@example.com.
- By phone, call (850) 644-5470. If you are forwarded to voicemail, be sure to leave a message with your name and FSUID or EMPLID along with the reason for your call.
Our office works with students on a variety of issues including overload requests, assisting with course drops, medical/mental health course drops and withdrawals, transient courses, academic dismissal/reinstatement, and more.
Lower-division students should contact their Dean’s office in Undergraduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Academic Advising during Drop/Add Week (August 23-27)
The Fall 2021 Drop/Add period is from Saturday, August 21, 12:01 am – Thursday, August 26, 11:59 pm EDT.
If emailing an academic advisor during Drop/Add, it is best to email the last advisor with whom you spoke, not a several of them. Emailing more than one advisor requires them to verify if anyone else has already responded to you. Remember to allow 2-3 business days for an email response from any individual staff member during this busy time of year.
From August 24-28, all advising services will be conducted via a moderated Zoom call as during the last several drop/add periods.
Zoom instructions for COSSPP advising August 23-27:
- Zoom link: https://fsu.zoom.us/j/96341720184
- Advising sign-in hours: 8:30am – 11:30am and 1:00pm – 3:30pm.
Advising sessions may be limited to 15 minutes due to student volume.
- You will join the call in the waiting area and will be added to the main call by the host as there is availability. Please note that you may wait in the waiting area for an extended time.
- Students will not be added to the call outside of listed sign-in hours. The line may be cut off early due to student volume so that all those on the call may be seen in a timely manner.
- Students will be placed in a breakout room with an advisor in the order they joined the call as advisors become available. There may be significant waiting time depending on how many students have entered the call.
- General questions may be asked in the chat function of the call. Students with specific questions may be directed to wait until they can speak with an advisor.
- Microphone and video should stay off until in a breakout room with an advisor.
Before you meet with an advisor:
- Take responsibility for your class schedule – have classes and sections identified that interest you. Register for classes if possible before meeting with an advisor.
- Become familiar with your Academic Requirements Report (ARR). Look for unmet requirement areas listed in the AAR in red as unsatisfied.
- Fall 2021 Academic Calendar: Mark your calendar with important semester dates/deadlines, particularly the 7th and 12th week deadlines.
- Resolve any outstanding holds you have on your FSU account (health insurance, student financial agreement, financial, etc.) – advisors cannot lift holds placed by other offices.
- Check on the status of your Financial Aid. Check for any outstanding requirements or holds such as Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), student loans, etc.
CHECK your schedule before the drop/add deadline date. You will be FEE LIABLE for any classes on your schedule after drop/add has ended.
Academic Advising during the Fall 2021 Semester (beginning August 30)
General questions may be emailed to email@example.com or you can always email an advisor directly.
In support of FSU’s social distancing and COVID-19 mitigation efforts, all COSSPP advising services typically available in our BEL 105 & 106 offices will be available virtually through Campus Connect and Zoom.
- Face-to-face appointments are available if scheduled through Campus Connect.
- Drop-in advising will be done via Zoom due to spacing constraints.
Beginning August 30, we will have both appointment (face to face and virtual) and virtual drop-in availability through Campus Connect with any of our advising staff. We will operate our regular semester advising hours:
- Monday (8:30-11:30 & 1:00-2:30): Appointment or Drop-in
- Tuesday-Thursday (8:30-11:30 & 1:00-3:30): Appointment or Drop-in
- Friday (8:30-11:30 & 1:00-2:30): Drop-in only
To schedule an appointment or sign-in for virtual drop-ins:
- Log-in to Campus Connect (or access it using the CC icon in my.fsu.edu or the myFSU app)
- Click “Schedule Advising or Tutoring”
- Follow the prompts to schedule an appointment or sign in for virtual drop-ins. For detailed instructions, check out our online how-to guide.
- If scheduling an appointment, be sure to include comments explaining what it is you wish to speak about with an advisor