Applying for Admission
Applications must be received by December 15 to be considered for a university fellowship funding and for funding from the Department (as a teaching assistant or research assistant). All materials must be submitted electronically in the Florida State University Graduate Application Portal application system. The Admissions Office requires OFFICIAL copies of all transcripts.
Official Transcripts must be sent to the Admissions Office:
Florida State University
Office of Admissions
282 Champions Way
Tallahassee FL 32306-2400
Department requirements for graduate admission include a 3.0 grade-point-average for the last two years of undergraduate study and a total of approximately 300 on the combined verbal and quantitative portions of the Graduate Record Examination. Please note that the GRE score is one element of your application and the program views the entire file holistically in making a determination of admission. Applicants also must have received a C or higher in a 3-hour college-level statistics course.
An online application includes the following documents which should be uploaded in the Supporting Documents page of the University Application:
- A completed online application to the University Graduate Admissions Office and a completed Form B/Personal Information Sheet to the Department of Sociology. Form B can be found here: Form B/Personal Information Sheet (pdf).
- An electronic copy of all transcripts, undergraduate and graduate, reflecting any academic work you have undertaken. Copies in Admissions application system can be unofficial and are for Department use but OFFICIAL transcripts are required for FSU Graduate Admissions Office).
- Three letters of recommendation regarding your potential to complete a rigorous program of graduate education. You will send a link to your References through the FSU Admission application system. We recommend that you send your References an email notification that they will soon receive an email from Florida State University Admissions including information on how to submit their letters electronically and a link to the recommendation form.
- An electronic copy of a 2-3 page statement explaining your reasons for pursuing graduate study in sociology at Florida State University and reporting your personal, professional and career goals. In your statement, identify one or more FSU sociology faculty with whom you would like to work and explain your reasons.
- An electronic copy of a sample of written work -- a published paper, MA thesis, or on undergraduate coursework paper that is sole-authored.
- An electronic unofficial copy of GRE scores. International applications must submit electronic copies of GRE and TOEFL scores. (Copies in Admissions application system can be unofficial and are for Department use but OFFICIAL score reports are required for FSU Graduate Admissions Office). International students whose native language is not English must complete the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 550 (213 computer-based, 80 internet-base).
All materials except for three items (application fee, official copies of transcripts, and official GRE and/or TOEFL scores) are uploaded electronically in the Florida State University’s Admission application system.
Once you have applied, the Online Status Check (OSC) will allow you to check on the receipt of transcripts and test scores, as well as the current status of your University application. (Please be aware that the Admissions office processes thousands of applications each semester, so it takes time for files to be updated, especially around deadlines).
Jamie Yeargan, Academic Coordinator
Florida State University
Department of Sociology
526 Bellamy Building
PO Box 3062270
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2270