Ph.D. University of Colorado 1974
- Natural and technological hazards
- Environmental policy
- Environmental perception
- Behavioral geography
- Policy evaluation methods
- Effect of hurricane experience on future evacuation response; determinants of public attitudes toward CFB coal technology
- Derivation of impact fee formula for funding storm management services
- Perceptual climate maps of the United States
- Methods for identifying public preference tradeoffs among policy options
- “Social Impacts of Tropical Cyclone Forecasts and Warnings,” World Meteorological Organization Bulletin, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 229-235, 2002.(with M. Boswell et al.)
- “A Quantitative Method for Estimating Probable Public Costs of Hurricanes,” Environmental Management, vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 359-372, 1999.
- "Public Response to Hurricane Probability Forecasts," The Professional Geographer, 47 (2) pp. 137-147, 1995.
- "Evacuation Behavior in Hurricanes," International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters, Vol. 9, pp. 287-310, 1991.
- "Predicting Response to Hurricane Warnings: A Reanalysis of Data from Four Studies," Mass Emergencies, Vol. 4, pp. 9-24, 1979.