Philip E. Steinberg
Ph.D. Clark University 1996
- Governance of global spaces & global resources
- Spaces of transportation & communications
- Environment-development conflicts & social movements
- Cultural-political issues in attachment to place
- Uses, regulations, and representations of the world ocean
- Histories of navigational knowledge
- Epistemologies of mobility
- Poststructural anthropology and the ontology of islands
- Cyberspace governance regimes and the spatiality of the Internet
- Implications of Hurricane Katrina for urban theory
- Sovereignty, sexuality, transnationalism, and tourism in Key West, Florida
- Arctic sovereignty claims
- Steinberg, P. and Chapman, T. 2009. Key West's Conch Republic: Building Sovereignties of Connection. Political Geography 28, 283-295.
- Steinberg, P. 2009. Sovereignty, Territory, and the Mapping of Mobility: A View from the Outside. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 99, 467-495.
- McDowell, S., Steinberg P. and Tomasello, T. 2008. Managing the Infosphere: Governance, Technology, and Cultural Practice in Motion, Temple University Press.
- Steinberg, P. and Shields, R. (eds.). 2008. The Urban after Katrina: Place, Community, Connections, and Memory, University of Georgia Press.
- Steinberg, P. 2006. Calculating similitude and difference: John Seller and the 'placing' of English subjects in a global community of nations. Social & Cultural Geography7, 687-707.
- Steinberg, P. 2005. Insularity, sovereignty, and statehood: the representation of islands on Portolan charts and the origins of the territorial state. Geografiska Annaler87B, 253-265.
- Steinberg, P. 2001. The Social Construction of the Ocean, Cambridge University Press.
Recent Fellowships & Achievements
- International Council for Canadian Studies to research "Contested Materialities in Northwest Passage Sovereignty Claims." 2007.
- National Science Foundation Geography & Spatial Science and Arctic Social Science Programs to research "Territorial Imaginaries and Arctic Sovereignty Claims." 2009.
- Rockefeller Foundation to serve as Fellow at the "Other Globalizations" program, Center for Cultural Studies, University of California, Santa Cruz. 2005-2006:
- Devoe L. Moore Center to research "Fixed Links Connections and Florida Keys Development." 2004
- Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center for Scholars and Writers to be resident fellow at the New York Public Library. 2002-2003.
- Arthur and Janet Holzheimer Award from the Institute for Research in the Humanities at the University of Wisconsin-Madison to conduct research on the history of cartography. 2002.
- Short-Term Fellowship from the Newberry Library to conduct research on the history of cartography. 2002.
- John Best Fellowship to conduct research at the American Geographic Society Collection at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. 2000.