Academic Advising

Academic Advising

The College of Social Sciences and Public Policy Academic Advising office provides advising to all students of the college. We help with graduation check, mapping, change-of-major requests, orientation, and all other academic advising.

Students are seen on a walk-in basis from 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM and 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM Monday through Friday. Non-graduating international affairs and political science majors are seen in 106 Bellamy, while sociology, economics, geography, environmental studies, interdisciplinary social science, and all graduating students are seen in 101 Bellamy.

Official Graduation Check Form

Click here to submit a request for an official graduation check.

Advising Staff

, Director of Academic Services (850) 644-5470
Claire Aguda, Academic Advisor
Distance Learning, Interdisciplinary Social Sciences Advising
(850) 644-5470
, Academic Advisor
International Affairs and Political Science Advising
(850) 644-5470
, Academic Advisor
International Affairs and Political Science Advising
(850) 644-5470
, Academic Advisor
Sociology, Economics, Geography and Environmental Studies Advising
(850) 644-5470
, Academic Advisor
International Affairs, Political Science Advising
(850) 644-5470
Naomi Fuller, Academic Support Assistant (850) 644-5470
General Questions, Appointment Scheduling (850) 644-5470

Departmental Advising

(850) 644-3835 254 BEL
International Affairs
, Graduate Program Advisor
, Undergraduate Program Advisor
(850) 644-4418
(850) 644-5470
211 BEL
Political Science
(850) 644-7305 535 BEL
Public Administration
(850) 644-3525 627 BEL
, Undergraduate Program Advisor (850) 644-8329 526a Bel
, Graduate Program Advisor (850) 644-6506 523 Bel
Urban and Regional Planning
(850) 644-4510 330 BEL

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I request a Grad check?
A: In the semester that you reach 90 hours, request a graduation check in the College and at the Office of the Registar. You will only request one official graduation check from the college and one from the university. To update a grad check in the college, meet with an advisor by appointment or during walk in hours.

1) To request the graduation check at the Office of the Registrar, go to UCA 3900.
2) To request the graduation check in the college go to the advising office in 101 Bellamy or request a graduation check online by clicking on this link.

Q: Where can I find the academic calendar?

A: It is each student's responsibility to keep up with the academic calendar. On this link you will find exam schedules, important deadlines, and holidays:

Q: Where do I change my major/add a second major?

A: If you are adding a second major or changing to a major under the College of Social Sciences you must meet with an advisor. Freshman and Sophomore should go to 106 during walk in hours or make an appointment. Juniors and Seniors should go to 101 Bellamy during walk in hours or should make an appointment.

If you are adding a second major or changing your major to something that is not offered under the College of Social Sciences, you must contact an advisor in the College that offers that major.

Q: How do I take courses at a different institution?

A: Yes. FSU students can take courses at community colleges or other universities. Students are considered a transient student, which means they intend to take courses at another institution for a semester and return to FSU the follow semester. Information on becoming a transient student can be found at . Courses taken at other schools must be evaluated by Florida State to determine their equivalency to FSU courses. Students can contact their academic advisor or the Office of Undergraduate Studies regarding this protocol. Please note that students who do NOT take courses at Florida State for TWO CONSECUTIVE SEMESTERS must reapply to FSU.

Q: How do I get information about internships?

A: Please contact your department for more information regarding internships.

Q: What is the summer residency requirement?

A: Students are required to complete nine hours of courses during the summer semester. They do not have to be taken at the same time or at Florida State. However, summer courses must be taken at a public university in Florida. Courses taken at a community college will NOT fulfill the summer residency requirement. Students admitted to the university with 60 hours or more are exempt from this requirement. Additionally, students who are admitted into the university with at least 9 hours of accelerated credit (AP, IB, dual enrollment) are exempt from this requirement. If you are interested in getting this requirement waived, please stop by Bellamy 101 for more information.

Q: What is the difference between a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree?

A: A B.A. degree has two additional requirements to a B.S. degree. These are:

1. Completion of a classical or modern foreign language through the 2000 level (2200 or equivalent course)
2. Nine semester hours in the fields of humanities and history, in addition to the liberal studies and the foreign language requirement; Courses may be selected from the following colleges, and departments: College of Visual Arts, Theatre and Dance; College of Music; College of Communication and Information (not including work in communication disorders or information), and the departments of Classics; English; History; Modern Languages and Linguistics; Philosophy; or Religion in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Q: What is the difference between a double major and a dual degree?

A: A double major requires 120 total degree hours and both major requirements to be completed. With a double major if the individual majors require a minor, you do not need it. The second major will cancel out that requirement.

A dual degree requires 150 total degree hours and both major requirements to be completed. If the individual majors require a minor, then it does need to be fulfilled to be eligible for the dual degree.

Q: What is a 2nd Bachelor's Degree?

A: To obtain a 2nd Bachelor's Degree, a minimum of 30 hours must be taken with a maximum overlap of 12 hours from the 1st major. Requirements for each major/minor and each college must be satisfied. More information is available in the Bulletin.

Q: What is the difference between a minor and a certificate?

A: Minors typically require fewer hours than a certificate. Minors do not appear on transcripts, but can be written on resumes. Courses used for a minor cannot overlap with anything. Certificates are posted onto transcripts and usually have a few additional requirements. Certificates can also overlap with major requirements.

Q: What is the foreign language admission requirement?

A: Every student admitted to a Florida university must show proof of completing two years of the same foreign language in high school or of completing eight hours of the same language in college to graduate and receive a diploma. This is not to be confused with the Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree requirement. The majors in the College of Social Sciences that require a foreign language through the intermediate college level are International Affairs,

Q: How do I take more than 18 hours in a single semester?

A: The request form for course overload is available at the Office of the Registrar in UCA 3900. This form must be brought to Bellamy 101 for Dean's signature.

Q: How do I calculate my GPA?

Q: How do I withdrawal from the University?

A: Call to schedule an appointment with Dr. Kinloch, and then go to Withdrawal Services.

Q: What does it mean to take a course pass/fail and how do I do it?

A: Elective courses that do not count towards major, minor or liberal studies requirements can be taken pass/fail. Only one class can be taken pass/fail in a semester up to a maximum of 18 credit hours. The form is available in the Office of the University Registrar in 3900 UCA. Business courses cannot be taken pass/fail. Languages can be taken pass/fail for International Affairs majors only.

Q: Do I need to attend class on the first day?

A: Yes! Please review the University Policy on first day attendance:

Q: What is the combined Bachelor's/Master's degree program?

A: We currently offer one combined bachelor's/master's degree program. This program allows you to take up to 12 hours of graduate work during undergraduate degree in public administration. These 12 hours can count towards both degrees. For more information:


Q: Are there any fees associated with applying for graduation?

A: No, there aren't any fees associated with applying for graduation.

Q: When and where should I apply for graduation?

A: You can apply for graduation the first few weeks in the semester you intend to graduate. You need to apply for graduation even if you do not intend to walk in the ceremony. You can apply for graduation through blackboard. Go through secure apps and click on “apply for graduation”.

Q: I have missed my deadline for applying to graduate. What do I do?

A: You must go to your academic Dean's office to notify them of your intent to graduate and to obtain permission to apply late for graduation for that semester.

Q: I have missed my deadline to order my cap and gown. What do I do?

A: Call the University Bookstore at (850) 644-2072.

Q: How do degrees of distinction work?

A: There are three degrees of distinction granted to graduating students based on ALL college-level work attempted (excluding physical education activity courses) and including the term's work in which baccalaureate degree requirements are completed:

Cum Laude for an overall average of 3.500;
Magna Cum Laude for an overall average of 3.700; and
Summa Cum Laude for an overall average of 3.900

Degrees of distinction are granted to transfer students who meet all three of the following requirements:

1.) The student must complete at least forty (40) semester hours of graded work at FSU, including the final term's work;
2.) The student must have the required average on all work taken at FSU; and
3.) The student must have the required overall average on ALL work attempted, including any transfer credit excluding any physical education activity courses or vocational courses, regardless of how many years have elapsed since the credit was earned. Transfer credit cannot raise a student's FSU grade point average